This is another all-time favorite, from Mollie Katzen’s Moosewood Cookbook. You can taste the love in it.
- 2 TBSP butter
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 – 3 tsp dried dill (r 2 -3- TBSP fresh minced dill)
- 1 TBSP mild paprika
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 TBSP flour
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup milk (can be lowfat) at room temperature
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream (can be reduced fat variety, but regular works best) – I’m calling this OPTIONAL
- finely minced parsley, for the top
- Melt the butter in a kettle or Dutch oven. Add onions, and saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, salt, dill and paprika. Stir well and cover, cook for about 15 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Add the lemon juice.
- Gradually sprinkle in the flour while stirring constantly. Cook and stir another 5 minutes or so over medium-low heat. Add water, cover and cook about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in milk; add black pepper to taste. Need more salt? The recipe calls for the whisking in of the sour cream here and gentle heating (no boiling!); but I don’t use cream, and it’s still fabulous. Serve hot, topped with fresh minced parsley.